Delaware County Planning Department
Public Engagement Education, Delaware County
Cooperative event between Connect the Dots and Delaware County, teaching professional planners and municipal officials to use public outreach with a workshop component.
Our challenge was to organize a workshop for a diverse, broadly-skilled group. Here are some of the approaches we brought to the table:
- Create worksheets and tools that are easily teachable
- Teach basic engagement thinking
- Encourage innovation and creativity
- Bolster support for future engagement as part of larger process
- Normalize community outreach
Delaware County Planning Department asked Connect the Dots to lead a workshop that taught civic leaders and community members about thoughtful and concerted public participation.
Most attendees were new to the concept of creative engagement and found it to be eye-opening.
The County reports that it is seeing the beginnings of a culture shift to better community outreach, resulting in better-supported projects and shorter timelines.
- Helped community members become familiar with techniques and creative planning
- Positive feedback from county officials about toolkits and format
- Carefully-crafted groupings to enable conversation
Image courtesy of the Delaware County Historical Society